JERUSALEM: World powers urged restraint on Sunday for concern that Iran’s unprecedented missile and drone strikes on Israel may spark a wider warfare within the Middle East, because the United Nations heard a name for brand spanking new sanctions towards Tehran.

Iran launched the assault, its first ever to instantly goal Israeli territory, in retaliation for a lethal air strike extensively blamed on Israel that destroyed Tehran’s consular constructing in Syria’s capital early this month.

The strikes raised Middle East tensions to a harmful new stage six months right into a lethal battle between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas in Gaza, prompting worldwide cries of alarm.

“Neither the region nor the world can afford more war,” UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres instructed the physique’s Security Council because it met to debate Saturday’s Iranian assault.

“The Middle East is on the brink,” he warned. “The people of the region are confronting a real danger of a devastating full-scale conflict. Now is the time to defuse and de-escalate.”

Israel’s UN envoy, Gilad Erdan, urged the Council to “impose all possible sanctions on Iran before it’s too late” and “condemn Iran for their terror”.

G7 leaders earlier stated they had been able to “take further measures” in response to “destabilising initiatives”.

Iran’s UN envoy, Amir Saeid Iravani, retorted that the Islamic republic was exercising its “inherent right to self-defence” and “had no choice” however to behave. He insisted his nation did “not seek escalation or war”, however would reply to any “threat or aggression”.

Israel intercepts projectiles

Through Saturday night time, air raid sirens wailed and Israelis sought cowl in bunkers and shelters as missile defence programs and warplanes intercepted drones and missiles.

Israel and its allies intercepted the overwhelming majority of the greater than 300 incoming projectiles, the Israeli military stated, reporting 12 people injured and no deaths, however the assault sharply heightened fears of an Israeli counterstrike.

“Together we thwarted Iran’s attack, Israeli military spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said in a televised statement.

“This was the primary time that such a coalition labored collectively towards the specter of Iran and its proxies within the Middle East.”

G7 leaders condemned Iran’s attack and called for “restraint” on all sides, European Council President Charles Michel wrote on X after a video conference.

“We will proceed all our efforts to work in direction of de-escalation. Ending the disaster in Gaza as quickly as attainable, notably by an instantaneous ceasefire, will make a distinction.”

Israel’s top ally the United States also urged caution and calm.

“We do not need to see this escalate,” White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told NBC. “We’re not in search of a wider warfare with Iran.”

US warns against retaliation

A senior US official said President Joe Biden had told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Washington would not offer military support for any retaliation on Iran.

“We wouldn’t be a part of any response they do,” the official told reporters on a call, speaking on condition of anonymity. “We wouldn’t envision ourselves collaborating in such an act.”

Biden reaffirmed the United States’ “ironclad” support for Israel, but also appeared to guide it away from a military response against the two countries’ common adversary, Iran.

News outlet Axios reported that Biden had told Netanyahu he should “take the win”, and that Washington would oppose an Israeli counterattack.

Before Tehran attacked, Israel’s military had warned Iran it would suffer the “penalties for selecting to escalate the scenario any further”.

Netanyahu on Sunday met with his war cabinet, formed at the outset of the Gaza conflict following the bloody October 7 attack on Israel by Hamas.

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Sunday cautioned Israel against a “reckless” retaliation, warning this would spark “a decisive and far stronger response”.

Missiles, attack drones

Iran’s mission to the United Nations also warned Washington to keep out of its conflict with Israel.

It added in a message on X that “the matter might be deemed concluded”.

“However, ought to the Israeli regime make one other mistake, Iran’s response shall be significantly extra extreme.”

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said on Sunday that “the marketing campaign isn’t over but — we should stay alert”.

Iran said its attack came in response to the April 1 air strike on Tehran’s consulate building in Damascus, which killed seven Revolutionary Guards including two generals.

The Israeli military said that while 170 drones and 30 cruise missiles were shot down before reaching Israel, a few of the 110 ballistic missiles did get through.

One of those wounded was a seven-year-old girl near Israel’s southern town of Arad who was in intensive care.

Iran’s allies, including Lebanon’s Hezbollah, joined the attack. Yemen’s Iran-backed Huthi rebels also launched drones at Israel, security agency Ambrey said.

Officials said British and other allied jets and Jordanian defences also shot down incoming projectiles, mostly before they reached Israeli airspace.

‘Satisfying Iran’s honour’

Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said Tehran had notified the United States ahead of the attack after giving neighbouring states 72 hours’ notice.

Iran had earlier seized an Israeli-linked container vessel in the Gulf, putting the whole region on alert.

Iran’s army declared that its attack was “accomplished efficiently”, and Syria also said Iran had exercised its “proper to self-defence”.

Iran’s “Operation Honest Promise… achieved all its aims”, armed forces chief of staff Mohammad Bagheri said.

Hundreds of Iranians waved Iranian and Palestinian flags on Sunday in Tehran’s Palestine Square.

Analyst Nick Heras of the New Lines Institute for Strategy and Policy told AFP that Saturday’s attack was “all about satisfying the honour of Iran”.

“This current escalation within the Middle East is concerning the treacherous state of US and Iran relations, during which Israel is only one enviornment of battle,” he said.

‘Spiral of violence’

In besieged Gaza, thousands of inhabitants flooded the coastal road north Sunday after hearing that several people managed to cross a closed checkpoint towards Gaza City, despite Israel denying it was open.

The war in Gaza began with Hamas’s unprecedented October 7 attack, which resulted in the deaths of 1,170 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 33,729 people in Gaza, mostly women and children, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.

Late Saturday, Hamas said it had submitted its response to a truce plan presented by US, Qatari and Egyptian mediators at talks that started in Cairo on April 7.

Hamas said it was sticking to its previous demands, insisting on “a everlasting ceasefire” and the withdrawal of the Israeli army.

Israel’s Mossad spy agency called this a rejection of the proposal, accusing Hamas of “persevering with to take advantage of the stress with Iran” and aiming for “a common escalation within the area”.

Share.

Leave A Reply